Tuesday, January 1

A Little Blue Friend


A beautiful little blue bird formally known as the Blue Jay. At my Granny & Grandpa’s house in front of their kitchen window they have a bird feeder and a basket with bones and a bit of left over meat in it. I’m not quite sure about a left over meat eating and bone chewing bird though. Didn’t know they existed. Mom brought a bag of birdseed home from town the other day and we filled up the bird feeder hoping that we would have some visitors. Every time a bird comes to the feeder, we try to find its picture in Grandpa’s Northern Bird book. So far we have seen the Common Redpoll (only two), Evening Grosbeaks (lots), Chickadees, one Cardinal and plenty of Blue Jays. Oh yeah, and a squirrel.

During the winter while they are in Florida we watch their house for them and since Mom bought the seed, they’ve got visitors at their bird feeder and still no birds at their bone and meat basket. Right now I am looking at it and there is a pile of snow in their basket while there are Blue Jays in the bird feeder.

From about 12:00am. - 12:30am. I was watching a group of Blue Jays while taking pictures and there were about 8 of them but they wouldn’t come to the feeder while I was standing in the kitchen except one of them decided that it didn’t matter he was getting too hungry to wait so he flew over and I managed to get some pictures. Here’s my favourite picture.

I hope you like it too and I'll try to get pictures of the other birds.
Wordpecker jr.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

I really like birds! :)

I think they're always so cute, especially the fat sparrow-types.

Unrelated note (your squirrel mention made me think about it): A fellow I've been dating has a squirrel who lives in the tree outside his balcony. He put an assortment of stale snacks from his kitchen out for the fellow, and the squirrel ignored peanut butter (animals usually LOVE peanut butter) in favor of a stale Milano cookie!

Must be a L.A. squirrel. He now stalks the guy from the sliding glass door. Kind of creepy.

don said...

Birds are very smart animals. They learn, they remember and they have feelings.