Friday, January 25

4 am

I was up again at 4 am today. That's three days in a row. I've been wrestling with a decision about work and it's screwing up my sleep.

My best friend and I have long talked about working together and the time is upon us. My worry, as I have expressed to her, is how this might strain our friendship. Above all else, I told her, my interest is in protecting our friendship.

What is making this decision particularly difficult is that I really like the job I have now. I wear jeans to work, listen to music all day long, sip coffee, and work for the most wonderful couple I have had the privilege of meeting. My feeling is that I am at risk of losing a great job and a great friend. How pessimistic is that? (I really need to cool the drama, I think.)

I talked to the wonderful couple earlier in the week to let them know that I would need to make this decision. They were...well...wonderful. They said that though they had big plans for me, they would support me. They were concerned for my well being and their advice was to follow my heart and find my peace.

My peace, I believe, will come in the decision; the commitment; the plan.

In the end, I decided I would rather be a good friend than a good employee.

2 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

Stress makes for bad sleeping.

I was up until three this morning.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure that you will make the best decision for you.

The Wordpecker said...

Thanks Diane.