Friday, January 26

Get a Job!


Well I did it!

I bowed to the pressure of security and economics and got myself a job. The company is called Equator Coffee and I picked up an office position working there from 9-1 each day. OK, OK, it's part time, but it still counts as employment. My creditors will be pleased, as will Revenue Canada. Self-employment I've learned, is not unlike unemployment to banks (at least initially); it makes them skittish and they express that through ludicrous lending rates.

My sister-in-law was trying to help facilitate my return to the workforce (she works with a placement agency). I think I drove her away with my unreasonable demands. Thing is, I have other goals I want to accomplish in my life and right now, a job is a necessary means to a critical end. This realization has come at the end of much reflection, introspection and many visits to the library. I finally get it though and I'm not going to forget it.

This opportunity, I hope, will provide me with a chance to learn the coffee business. I always envisioned myself owning/operating a coffee shop in my golden years. I love coffee and the atmosphere of coffee shops. Not the big chains, but quiet coffee shops where good music is playing in the background and where people are tapping away at the keys of their portable computers. The air is thick with the smell of roasting coffee. Today's newspaper is disassembled; its sections are littered across a half-dozen small bistro tables. The barista is carefully stacking biscotti and croissants in the glass display case. That's my vision.

Equator Coffee purchases its product from fair trade certified coffee cooperatives. Why is this important? Well, first of all it's socially responsible and secondly, it's important to me to work for a company that has goals other than the accumulation of wealth. I figure that I have been blessed with skills and I choose not to waste them by helping the greedy line their own pockets. The first real position I held was working for a very wealthy, very mean man who owned a franchise of food stores. In short, he was an ass, but he did help me arrive at my decision to establish criteria for prospective employers. It's one of the few good things that ever came of that job. Since then, I have been more discriminating in choosing my employment. So far, so good.

If you're not familiar with fair trade coffee, here's the link to Equator Coffee's web site:

http://www.equator.ca/aboutus/fairtrade.asp

I'll keep you updated on my progress. Learning a new job is always fun and exciting and stressful so I'm sure I'll have lots to write about. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

GrewUpRural said...

Congrats on the new job and best of luck.

The Wordpecker said...

Thanks Rural! I was thinking of you when I was describing my coffee shop -- thinking I should be selling GF muffins/loaves. They're not widely available commercially. Maybe because of risks for cross-contamination, maybe it's just about demand. Either way, when I was following a GF diet, I made some awesome muffins. Nobody would be the wiser.

don said...

good luck!

Patient Flosser said...

Congradumassions!!!!!

I did not know that regular coffee is sprayed with junk. There goes my daily Tim's...no more. That explains my odd behaviour and recently observed glowing-in-the-dark. Eeeks.

Although your vision of newspapers, out of order, alignment, etc. made me cringe. I always want to come in and houseclean @ Second Cup. Maybe you'll have a neat and tidy freak sister to help you in your Golden Year's dream.

I'm very happy for you, in many ways.

Don't look back!

GrewUpRural said...

Thanks for thinking of me! When I walk around the city, I think of owning my own gf pastry shop. It's a dream of mine.

Diane Lowe said...

I was a barista for a semester in college. I learned lots about making and enjoying coffee, and would like to think I gained some skill in it.

Here's a Slate article you should read if you'd like to open a cafe someday (and let's face it, who wouldn't?).

Good luck and have fun!

The Wordpecker said...

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted on my progress.