Tuesday, February 13

Rural Roots

On the last day of January, I returned to the small town I grew up in. OK town might be an exaggeration, it's more like a bunch of houses built around a lake. The neighbour to the southwest is my brother, the neighbour to my northeast is a snowdrift that crawls across the road every night. Every morning the plow comes by to drive it back towards the lake it came from but moments later, the snowy fingers pull at the road as the drift drags itself forward again.

I came here because it feels so much like home and, lately, this feeling that I don't "fit in" has become so strong that I could not deny it any longer. It's one of those feelings that I like and hate at the same time. I'm glad that I'm different from other people and I like who I am. Just once though, I would like to sit in a room full of people without feeling like an outsider, an interloper. Truly! Sometimes I feel like an alien. Not the kind that can't get a working visa, but the kind that comes from another world. I know, I know, you make your own experience. The fact that I think this way most likely is the cause of why I feel this way. Yeah, yeah. But what if I'm right? What if I AM different?

So here I am. In a house in a place that isn't quite a town, watching the sun sneak up from behind the trees, feeling like I'm home. Like I belong. It's nice. Here's the creepy part ...it's my parent's house. They're away for the winter. Yup. I ran away from home. Or did I run away to home? Either way you look at it, I ran away. There are other factors of course, most of which are too personal to share on a public blogsite -- even if that blogsite gets less traffic that this not-quite-a-town will ever see in a day. Thing is, I feel like I belong here. It feels like home. It feels still and safe and warm. Right now, I need still and safe and warm.

Every morning since arriving, I wake up at 6 a.m. (though that will change next week when I set my alarm to 5:30 a.m.) , I make a fruit smoothie, brew some coffee and then I watch the sun come up over the trees. I go to my new job at the coffee shop and work with numbers while battling my oh-so-mild dyslexia and then drive back here into the sun. Since commuting through these rural routes, I've seen wolves, deer, a martin, turkeys and clowns (they drive pick ups) oh yeah, and a woodpecker.

I saw the woodpecker last Monday and it made me think of this blog. It was like a sign, of sorts. Well, I'll take it as a sign.

"Welcome home wordpecker."

Thanks woodpecker.

5 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

That's so nice!

I have "don't-fit-in" feelings too, although I think that now I've returned to someplace close to my birthplace (even though I never lived there), I'm feeling more comfortable in my environment. It's a relieving feeling.

I still miss mountains, though.

Patient Flosser said...

Great way to start your new life Wordpecker. The grand etch-a-sketch!

I too am planning for a return to the good ole life in about two years. Got room for a trashy trailer out there? I promise not to put out any garden gnomes. :)

At the end of the day, all you really have is family. Glad you have one, and happy to know it is a strong knit one to help you through it all.

Welcome Home.

don said...

Sometimes I only feel like I'm home when I'm moving. On my bike or on my skis or driving my car at night in the middle of nowhere.

GrewUpRural said...

I feel out place being in New England. I am a country girl at heart from a small town back in the Mid-Atlantic. Everytime I go to visit my mom back home, I want to move back more each time I visit.

The Wordpecker said...

Hey whaddya know? I fit in...by not fitting in.

That still counts though...doesn't it?