Wednesday, September 26

Not Channel Surfing

At the lake, there is very poor reception where radio and TV stations are concerned. Now this is not really a problem since I can count on one hand the amount of hours I spend in front of a TV. Limited radio stations, however, took a lot of adjustment. I love music! If I ran the world, I'd have music pumped into the atmosphere. A little something for everybody -- jazz, classical, rock, alternative, pop, dance -- you name it.

On the TV, there is only one channel that comes in which happens to be a station out of Toronto. Watching news from another city can be a little disorienting. In fact, after the global events have been summed up, I normally tune out. That said, Toronto is the political centre of our provincial government. With an election looming, there has been much coverage of provincial political developments.

With a little more than 2 weeks away from the vote I still don't know what to do. The current Premier backed out of many/most of his campaign provinces. "What's new?" you ask. Truth is, we expect some back-peddling, but this guy has set records. I will be shocked if he is re-elected. His biggest adversary is a jackass who has made campaign promises that threaten to chip away at our civil liberties which makes him dangerous in my opinion. What's more, to support him, I would have to give my vote to his representative in this area who happens to be a lunatic. Third choice is to vote for a party whose principals I wholeheartedly oppose. The New Democratic Party is pro-union. They're also pro-family which is somewhat enticing, but the damage they did to the province during a brief period of leadership took years to recover from and I have a long memory.

Wish: My wish is that I live to see the day I am voting a political party into power instead of voting a political party out of power.



Originally, when I tuned in the radio, I could catch a station that carried John Tesh's program in the evenings. I was amused to learn that John Tesh had a radio program, and surprised to hear that it featured these little facts and philosophies to improve your life. Thanks for caring John Tesh. The music was easy listening; nice for unwinding after a day at work. Within weeks however, I lost the signal and had to find an a new station.

Back and forth, back and forth, I spun the tuner dial up and down the band but only one station came in crisp and clean. New Country 101. Hmmmm. OK Fine. After all, when in Rome.... So it stayed. I have to say, I have a new appreciation for "New Country." There are some awfully funny songs. There's a few with lines that make me laugh out loud. I don't know any of the titles or artists, but there are songs that have lines like:
  • "Me and my old pickup-truck. These days we don't pickup much."
  • "I'd like to check you for ticks"
  • "I dug my key into the side of his pretty little souped up four-wheel drive."

There's a song about an overweight, mildy asthmatic middle-aged guy who lives at home with his parents who lies about himself on "My Space." Apparently he is quite the stud in computer-land.

Funny stuff.

I like all things funny which puts Country Music, back on my list of good things.

4 comments:

Diane Lowe said...

I wish I could vote for someone into power rather than keeping someone else out of power too.

I like that song about the girl getting revenge on her cheating boyfriend. It's quite female empowering, yes? ;)

The Wordpecker said...

Empowering - Yes!

Hi Diane. I visited your blog the other night to read your latest reviews. Any suggestions? (Remember you screen them in the theatres and I rent them at the store.)

I rented Pan's Labrynth a couple of weeks ago and thought of you. The movie was well-done, I thought.

Diane Lowe said...

I'm glad you liked Pan's Labyrinth!

I moved my blog, it's now here.

I liked Stardust and The Brave One.

Diane Lowe said...

I really like bits of Country music, although I don't think I'll ever become a big-time listener of it again. Country has it's roots in American folk music, and it's really interesting (to me) how it's connected to rock and pop.

I really like Jack Ingram's remake of Hinder's "Lips of an Angel". But I'm *really* biased right now so don't take my word for it! I also like Mark Chesnutt's cover of "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing". I also like Kenny Chesney's style and music.

Gosh, I can't remember any other movies I've seen recently! I thought Ratatouille was charming.