Saturday, November 11

Rock-it Man!

Last night, my best bud and I went to see Elton John in concert at Scotiabank Place in Ottawa. She bought me a ticket for my birthday last month.

The show opened with Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, as 15,000 screaming fans welcomed Captain Fantastic to the nation's capital. Somewhere during the first verse of Benny and the Jets, I decided that this was, without question, the best birthday gift ever!


Sir Elton John is, in my opinion, one of the finest entertainers of our musical history. How else do you explain a career lasting over 35 years? There are only a handful of artists that succeed to this level and last night, it was clear to me why and how this marvel of a musician has endured.


For a man whose image was built upon outrageous costumes that have included, in the past, chicken suits and dresses, Sir Elton's outfit last night would be considered boring by some, tasteful by others. Looking grand in a pop-formal ensemble that featured a modestly-bedazzled jacket and brilliant red shirt, Elton John appears to have traded in garish for glamour. Outfit aside, he did treat us to a few showy antics during "The Bitch is Back" including a diva-like pose on top of his baby grand followed by a mule-kick from his piano bench. It wasn't necessary, and it probably wasn't even safe at his age, but it made this wonderfully quirky man all the more endearing.

One of last night's many highlights for me was the revival-like performance of Take Me to the Pilot, featuring a breath-taking introduction as Elton John thundered on the keys of his piano at a speed that seemed humanly impossible. Praise God and Hallelujah! And, while it's not my favourite song, last night's rendition of "Rocket Man" made me believe it might well be one of Elton's favourite songs. His face lit up as he repeated time after time, "I'm a rocket man, I'm a rocket man...." Yes you are! And I think you will be..."for a long, long time". Yes sir, you rock it man!

The band with Elton John included drummer and vocalist Nigel Olsson, guitarist and vocalist Davey Johnstone, Bob Birch on bass, John Mahon on percussion, and one-man orchestra Guy Babylon on keyboard. The technical crew who was not (and probably never will be) introduced, deserves praise for delivering effects that allowed Elton to sing his own backup vocals during the theatrical climax in Rocket Man.

The concert included favourites like Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, Daniel, I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues, Sorry Seems To Be the Hardest Word, Daniel, Tiny Dancer, Crocodile Rock, Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me, Philadelphia Freedom, Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting), and my favourite song - Levon. He also included in this concert series, the title track to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, saying that it has been years since he performed the song.

Mid-concert, Sir Elton introduced his new album titled The Captain & The Kid. With something sounding strangely like an apology, he introduced and played new tracks from that album including Post Cards From Richard Nixon, Tinderbox and The Bridge. Incidentally, the song The Bridge is worth the cost of the entire CD - the gorgeous harmony in this song nearly brought me to tears. I haven't heard these tracks on the radio, but trust me when I say that this album is sure to offer some new favourites for Elton John fans.

After over two hours of auditory bliss, the concert closed when Elton John dedicated his famous hit "Your Song" to me...well, to everyone in attendance, but he said "to each one of you," so I'm going with that. It was a beautiful gift and I accept it with thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a note to Sir Elton John:

My parents are huge fans that have followed your career from its very beginning. I have inherited their adoration as surely as if it were part of my genetic makeup. Your music is familiar, and in its familiarity I find reassurance, inspiration and passion. You have captured and coloured our social and political history in a way that only enduring artists are capable of doing. To echo your own words, "I thank the Lord, there's people out there like you." You make the world a better place.

No comments: