Monday, June 22

Obama and the Fly

It never ceases to amaze me, the kinds of things that the media determines as newsworthy. I take for granted the news delivered in the daily paper or on the evening newscast until they inevitably turn their attention to some inane story. Take Obama and the fly for instance.

They said he was odd. Why? Because he killed a fly. I killed a fly. I kill them all the time. In fact, I kill mosquitoes, shadflies, wasps, spiders and ants. I probably slaughtered more than 100 of these annoying little beasts over the weekend alone. CBC didn't come to cover the story. So far as I know, PETA is completely unaware of my killing spree and I fully expect to get away without any fines or, worse, incarceration.

It's a reflex, I figure. A creepy-crawlie catches my attention and I turn into a murderous predator. It's what we do. We swat stuff. I would argue that most living beings swat stuff. Horses swat flies. In fact, they stand together face to ass to help each other out with the swatting. I've had cats that kill flies as they bounce mindlessly against the window in an effort to escape to the outdoors. We swat flies. That's what we do.

I draw the line at bees unless someone is in peril due to an allergy. With all the attention given to the value of a bee, I figure it's my moral responsibility to try and keep as many of them alive as possible. They say that we can't live without bees and there has been a lot of press about their dwindling numbers so I generally try to help out by curbing my swatting habit to help postpone the end of the world.

Can you imagine what would have happened if Obama killed a bee?

2 comments:

don said...

I think Obama took a political risk.

If he'd tried that hard to kill the fly and missed, he'd be seen as weak on killing flys.

It's just one less thing people can fault him for.

Diane Lowe said...

I don't think he was going to miss. He seems like the type that has fast hand-eye coordination.

Colbert did something funny with this video. He had someone photoshop in a huge tongue on Obama that caught the fly.