Friday, February 1

Winter Storm Warning & A Squirrel

Well, the buses have been cancelled today. There's not a single snowflake in sight, but they are predicting 30 - 40 centimetres of snow. That's 15 - 20 inches of snow! They say it will come mixed with freezing rain. It's already in Toronto (4 hours west of here). I wonder if my brother's flight home from Cuba will make it in or if he and his family will be forced to layover somehwere. If so, I hope he his layover is in Cuba and not Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

I checked on his house this week and he doesn't have water. Now he didn't mention that he was going to shut off his water but I sure hope it didn't freeze. What a terrible homecoming present that would be.

We have been feeding birds this winter and have lots of fun watching their antics. It's attracting squirrels too. I know some people get bent out of shape when squirrels dip into their birdseed supply but I don't mind. They're cute (at a distance) and funny, funny, funny to watch. They are persistent and playful and ingenious.

We watched this little guy pick up seeds from the ground below the bird feeder. He sat pretty so we could take his picture through the window. I wonder what he's going to do today when the snow starts to fall. Will he tunnel into a snowbank and then tunnel back out tomorrow morning all the time wondering why it's taking twice as long to get out? Will he find a hole in a tree and sit in his little den eating his stockpile of nuts until the storm passes? Maybe he'll run around trying to catch snowflakes with his tiny little hands or on the tip of his little squirrly tongue. Probably not that.

Well, I had better get started. The drive to work will be fine but I am predicting an early end to my day.

Winterlude starts today. I'm going to try and find out if the ice sculpting contest begins today or tomorrow. I'd like to go downtown on day two of the contest and watch them finish up their works of art. I'll take some photos and post them here.

1 comment:

Diane Lowe said...

Cute!

How do you get great closeups like this?