Friday, December 22

Christmas Cookies

One week before Christmas, and all through the house,
The children were restless, they bickered and groused.

The cousins were over, their parents away,
Attending Mom's company year-end hurray.

The children were gathered surrounding the table,
Adding sprinkles to cookies, and preparing their labels.

Mamma in her track suit, dad in the shed,
Trying to survive 'til the kids go to bed.

Back and forth to the kitchen with bowls of fresh batter,
Rich with butter and sugar to make them all fatter.

"Last bowl, here you go, finish making your treats,
I'm going to start dinner, so stay in your seats."

It wasn't too long before voices got thin,
Big, loud, whiny noises that made Mamma cringe.

She returned to the table, with hands on her hips,
Feet firmly planted, a purse in her lips.

"What's going on? I'm trying to get dinner.
My patience is thin, and my good mood is thinner."

"My head will explode if you continue this way.
You'd better shape up and do what I say."

"But Mamma," they said, "little "Em is so ickey,
She's licking her fingers and touching the cookies."

"I'm not licking," said Em, "I'm putting on kisses.
I put them Tay's and on Reid's and on 'Lyssa's."

The kids dropped their heads a little ashamed,
That such a sweet gesture, was met with disdain.

"We're sorry," they chimed together at 'Em,
"S'Okay" she said as she beamed back at them.

Mamma softened and smiled and knelt by the table,
"I'd like my own treat, if you think that you're able."

'Em picked up a cookie shaped just like a tree,
Kissed it on top and passed it to Reid.

"I'll close my eyes, and add on a wish."
He then passed it on to young sister 'Lys.

She pressed the tree-cookie light to her chest
"I'm adding the love," then she passed to her left.

Tay took it up and thought for a while.
"I have an idea," she said with a smile.

She took the tree-cookie and rose from her chair,
She dashed from the room, leaving everyone there.

From the room they could hear the icebox door open,
They squirmed in their seats, excited and hoping.

Tay returned to the room, and held out the tree,
Now a flat gooey mess all lumpy and green.

"Whadja add?" asked the kids as they wondered aloud,
"It's peace," she replied, all cheerful and proud.

"Peace?" thought Mamma, then it soon came to light,
They were peas that Tay added, and oh what a sight.

"Let's bake it," said Mamma, as she took up the tray,
She gently received the tree-cookie from Tay.

They watched as it baked through the door of the oven,
Their kisses and wishes, their peace and their loving.

How is it that children are smarter than us?
They know that Christmas is not about fuss.

It's all about love and peace and good wishes,
And home-baked cookies, sprinkled with kisses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Peace, blessings and love to you and yours ....

Capital Spirit!

don said...

Merry Christmas!