Thursday, April 30

Coming Home

“Every secret of a writer’s soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works.” —Virginia Woolf 



I am fortunate enough to have fallen in with a spectacular group of women. (If they agree to it, I'll tell you more about our sisterhood in future posts.)   I posted a link to this blog in our group page to share this site with them. To do so, of course, meant a visit. A homecoming of sorts.

What was intended to be a quick visit and a copied link turned into an evening of remembering for me as I read through old posts. I laughed out loud at some of them and got a little teary when I read about my Grandmother. I saw how far I've come across the years.  I can't believe that I made no posts in 2014.  Except for a brief moment of regret at that oversight, I still find joy in my posts which makes me so very, very grateful for my chronicle. It reminds me. It comforts me. It grounds me. It celebrates me. Coming here and not posting tonight would be like passing an old friend on the street and looking the other way. It's just not right. So I thought I would take a moment and feed my blog. 

December 2012 - We can celebrate the fact that the world didn't end in 2012 as predicted by the doomsayers. I got scolded by someone who thought that the collective consciousness should avoid any conversation that contributed to "end-of-the-world negativity." All I gathered from her comment is that she didn't read my blog. It hurt my feelings for a second but then the world kept spinning....pun intended.

February 2013 - You should know that My Asshole Cat ("MAC") did not survive the harsh realities of country life. He either contributed to the food chain or got married and moved away....you can choose your own ending to that story.   His replacement's name is Buddha but I refer to him lovingly as Kitiot. While he's not half the gentleman MAC was, he is his reincarnate when it comes to his need to be heard. My daughter named him Buddha which is a complete misnomer because he acts more like the head of Chaos; hence the nickname Kitiot.    He's only allowed outside during daylight hours.

My kids have flown the nest which makes this Wordpecker an Empty-Nester. I've always known that "empty nest" meant the kids moved out but I was not aware that it also refers to the fact that when they leave...they take  e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.   The mattress for the futon/couch/spare bed is now in my daughter's apartment while the "harder to store" frame is leaning on the wall in my kitchen where my dining room table used to be.  Instead, I have a lovely new couch on my credit card and I eat my dinner at my desk because my daughter left with my table and chairs.  Strangely, she did not take her cat.

So I have a cat in my empty nest...hmmm....that seems so metaphorical. (We may need to explore that in a later post.)

I'm at the lake, gearing up for Summer 2015. Exciting times here at the lakeside as I hammer out plans to exchange my seasonal for a permanent year-round-home.  (GOD I LOVE PUNS!!)  I cannot tell you how excited I am to grow my roots again. In the last 7 years one of my constants has been my love for the lake. I cannot imagine being anywhere else. It is my place in this world. It is where I find my magic, my inspiration, my belonging.   It is home.



No comments: